Monday, July 10, 2006

It's so common.

Happy Monday everyone!

Today, I'd like to use my power for good, in so much as I have power or more than a handful of readers. (Hi mom!)

But I'd like to do something special today. My good friend Julie is walking The Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk in Tampa Bay, FL in October.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's a 60-mile walk over the course of three days. Which, first of all, WOW. She and her teammate, also named Julie, have also committed to raising a whopping $10,000. Net proceeds will benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust, funding important breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment.

Why is this important? Because if think about it for even 5 seconds, you'll find you're less than 6 degrees from a woman who has experienced, fought, survived, or even succumbed to breast cancer. It's so common. For me, I think of my aunt and my best friend's mom. And I think of my cousins and my best friend, because heredity can increase a woman's chances of developing breast cancer. I think about me, actually. It's not out of the question, we never know, and all we can do is
1. Do regular exams, both self-exams and regular doctor visits.
2. Continue to do whatever it takes for a cure.

In Julie's case, that means walking. And walking and walking and walking, evidently. She's training her ass off, and charting the progress in her blog, here. She's also raising a truckload of money, and I'd like to invite anyone who's reading this who knows a woman or is a woman or just enjoys the boobies (you know who you are) to chip in, even if it's only $5.

Thanks everyone! You're the best blog readers EVER!

2 comments:

Julie said...

So it's true...you really do rock! Thank you so very much for your support. Helping my fundraising efforts is tremendously wonderful and I cannot thank you enough. But even more wonderful is increasing breast cancer awareness and the need for self-exams, both of which you have accomplished with this post. I'm so glad you chose to use your powers for good! Julie

Anonymous said...

My thanks to Julie for her hard work. It looks like the women of the world are working their hardest to erase this disease from the world. In doing so we will also find cures for others cancer. And - thank you Dinah for thinking of me and Kate - You are the best. Carolyn