Thursday, December 08, 2005

punk rock sanctuary

Attention rock and rollers: if you haven't been yet, you have until next Halloween to get yourself to the original CBGB in New York. After a long battle between landlord and club owner, the club was given a last-minute reprieve, and granted a 1-year extension.

In case you're not familiar, CBGB is not just some random letters splayed across the faux-vintage t-shirts of wanna-be hipsters everywhere. The club, who's name actually stands for "Country Blue-Grass Blues" played host and witness to the American punk and new wave movements in the 1970's and 80's. It was instrumental in uplifting the careers of Puffpiece favorites like The Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads, and more. It was a punk rock sanctuary in a disco-saturated New York.

Today, it continues its tradition of booking up-and-coming, little-known acts that can only otherwise be found listed among indie scenesters' myspace friends. And it will continue to do so for just under a year at its original address.

Personally, I've never been to CBGB and I find it makes me very sad. I've only ever spent four days in New York in my life, and while I really wanted to check it out, we had a million other things to do while we were there as well. Here's hoping I can get out to CBGB in 2006 before it moves, and here's hoping you'll see me there.

No comments: