Friday, January 05, 2007

Cavity-free since 2003

THAT'S RIGHT.

Today I went to the dentist, after avoiding those drilling harbingers of pain and guilt for three years. I was certain that I would have cavities. I was having nightmares about my teeth falling out. I was dreading this appointment the way some people dread, well, a trip to the dentist.

Back in the summer of 2003 I had to get fillings. Lots of fillings. I went from no cavities to multiple cavities in something like six months, it was wretched. So, whatever, I got the fillings. Thing is, the cavities turned out to be bigger than the dentist thought. And they had to drill WAY more than expected. And they didn't give me enough novacaine at first, so I could totally feel it and had to get their attention so they could drug me more to make the pain stop. And after they drilled the hell out of my tooth, they held up a mirror, for reasons unknown to me, and showed me my hollowed-out shell of a tooth.

AAAAAAAAAAH!

Yeah. I've had NIGHTMARES about that tooth. After that experience I was shaken. I started being a little more vigilant about brushing & flossing, so I wouldn't have to go back. I had nightmares about all my teeth. I was convinced they were all going to rot and fall out.

And then, you know, we moved from Seattle to LA and finding a dentist just wasn't at the top of my list. Like, the last guy totally traumatized me, and you want me to find someone new to do this? No, thank you. So I just didn't go. Until mAc found a dentist he absolutely loved and, today, I gave them a chance.

They were awesome. Really, really nice and understanding about my dread and worries. Really thorough and professional as well.

But that just makes it easier to go back. The best news of the day, though, is that my teeth are FINE. I don't have any cavities! I'm Cavity-free since 2003, baby! Wooooo!

Of course, I have to get my wisdom teeth out still, but that's a whole other thing. Bring on the Vicoden, I say.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Yay! I know how you feel. I didn't get my first cavity until I was 26 (coincidentally my first appointment with braces) and I CRIED. Then when I got my braces off I had three cavities. Two in one tooth. Cried again. So I understand your fear and your jubilation!